Daniel Olszak is Of Counsel in the firm’s Tax and Estate Planning Department with a focus on elder law matters. A practitioner for over 42 years, Dan concentrates on elder law, estate planning and administration, guardianships, and represents clients before the Internal Revenue Service. Matters on which he advises range from simple wills to complex estate plans that attempt to create the most favorable position for the client under current estate tax laws, as well as planning for families with special needs children, and blended families.
The American Bar Association approved National Elder Law Foundation has certified Dan as a Certified Elder Law Attorney. He has lectured on various legal topics at New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education and National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys’ Institute, and has taught undergraduate and graduate courses at several universities on management and business, paralegal topics, retirement planning, and estate planning.
Prior to opening his own practice in 1983, Dan served as an attorney for the United States Army and the National Guard in the Judge Advocate General Corps and worked as an estate tax attorney for the Internal Revenue Service in Brooklyn, New York. Dan worked as the associate counsel for Management Planning, Inc., in Princeton, New Jersey, where he provided estate planning advice for the owners of closely-held businesses nationwide.
Dan is currently a member of NAELA, the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and the Ocean's Harbor House Agency Board. He is a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Elder Law Section as well as the Ocean County Bar Association, where he formerly served as chair of the Elder Law and Tax Committees.
Dan received his B.A. from Trenton State College in 1969 and earned his J.D. at Fordham University School of Law.
- New Jersey
- US District Court for the District of New Jersey
- US Court of Military Appeals
- US Tax Court
- United States Supreme Court
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Elder Law Section
- Ocean County Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Board Member, Harbor House Agency (Ocean County)
- April 20, 2017 -Dan Olszak, Of Counsel at DEMLP, will be among the speakers at the NJICLE 19th Annual Elder and Disability Law 2-Day Retreat in Long Branch. His panel will discuss “Curtailing Financial Abuse of the Elderly and the Disabled.” Dan is certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the American Bar Association approved National Elder Law Foundation. The program is presented by the NJSBA Law & Disability Law Section in cooperation with the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
- March 3, 2017 - Daniel Olszak, Of Counsel at DEMLP and a member of the firm's Tax and Estate Planning Department, will be providing in-house training at Home Helpers®, an in-home health care agency located in Lakewood, NJ. Dan is certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the American Bar Association approved National Elder Law Foundation and is a frequent speaker on elder care issues. His program will cover what caregivers need to know with regard to long-term care of older and ill adults, including the importance of executing a Power of Attorney and a living
- February 14, 2017 - The firm recently announced that it has brought on three new lawyers, including two partners and one of counsel, as part of its ongoing strategy to further expand its capabilities to better serve clients throughout New Jersey and the Tri-State area. The new partners are Brian J. Chabarek, a labor and employment attorney who spent the majority of his career at Hoaglund, Longo, Moran, Dunst & Doukas, and Christopher D. Olszak, a tax and estate planning lawyer and Certified Elder Law attorney. Olszak previously ran a boutique estate planning firm with his father, Daniel D. Olszak, Jr., who also joins DEMLP as of counsel. Chabarek came on board February 1 and the Olszaks joined in January. To view the full release, click here.