Jim Paone is chair of the Business Law and Litigation Department. He is an experienced litigator with extensive state and federal court experience and has been designated by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney. He is a frequent speaker on Civil and Trial Practice matters.
Jim’s practice concentrates on commercial, corporate, construction and general liability matters. His wide client base ranges from local closely held businesses to Fortune 100 clients.
Jim currently serves as a Special Ethics Master for the Office of Attorney Ethics. He is also a member of the Defense Research Institute (Construction, Employment, Government Liability and Trial Committees).
He has previously served as:
- Chair of the District IX Panel of the New Jersey Supreme Court's Ethics Committee (2006)
- President of the Monmouth Bar Association (2011-2012)
- President of the Board of Trustees of Autism New Jersey (2008-2012)
Prior to joining Davison, Eastman & Muñoz, Jim was a partner with Carton & Faccone in Avon, N.J. He received his B.A. from Washington & Lee University in 1986 and his J.D. from Seton Hall University School of Law in 1989, where he served as the Director of the University’s School of Law Moot Court Competition.
- New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- United States District Court - District of New Jersey
- Monmouth Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New Jersey Defense Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Autism New Jersey
- April 21, 2016 - Business Law and Litigation Partner James A. Paone, II will be speaking at the Northeast Corporate Counsel Forum at the Borgata in Atlantic City on April 21. He will serve as co-host on the panel “Legal Ethics – Steps to Maximizing Privilege Protection When You Wear Many Hats” with Stephen Wagner of Cohen Tauber Spievack & Wagner P.C. and William Crosby of Interpublic Group.
- November 19, 2015 – Business Law and Litigation Partner James A. Paone, II will be a speaker at the Monmouth Bar Association’s Civil Practice Committee Seminar, covering corporate designee depositions and protective orders in complex commercial cases. The program offers 2 CLE credits and will take place from 4:00 to 6:00 pm at the Molly Pitcher Inn in Red Bank.
Managing Partner and head of the firm's Business Law and Litigation Practice, James A. Paone, will be among the speakers at the Monmouth Bar Association Civil Practice/Administrative Law Seminar to be held at Navesink Country Club. He will be covering “Process and Procedure for Injunctive Relief and Orders to Show Cause.” Two MCLE credits are offered....Read more
What Employers Must Consider When Drafting Agreements On August 11, 2017, the Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court decided Dugan v. Best Buy Company Incorporated. In that case, as in a series of recent cases, the Appellate Division struck down an arbitration policy instituted by the Defendant to be used by its employees. In...Read more
Court Continues Trend of Restricting Venues Available to Plaintiffs On June 19, 2017, the United States Supreme Court decided the case of Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS) v. Superior Court of California San, Francisco County, et al. The Court’s decision in BMS represents another in a string of decisions limiting the concepts of general and specific jurisdiction for...Read more
On March 9, 2017, the New Jersey Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision holding that the failure to advance arbitration fees, as required in an arbitration agreement, voids the arbitration agreement and renders it unenforceable. The case Roach and Jackson v. BM Motoring, LLC at al. is the first time the Supreme Court has taken on...Read more
Yesterday, in a precedent setting case, the Appellate Division ruled that a waiver to sue third parties in an employment contract was void as against the public policy. The Appellate Division held that Allied, who employed the injured worker as a Security Guard, could not in its employment contract with the Security Guard waive the Security...Read more
The suit against Roger Ailes sheds light on recent developments regarding the scope of arbitration provisions in the State of New Jersey. Fox News anchor Gretchen Carlson filed suit against Roger Ailes, Chairman of Fox News, for alleged sexual harassment in the workplace. She chose to file her suit in State Court in New Jersey. Subsequently,...Read more
Davison, Eastman and Muñoz, P.A. were pleased to represent Frank Jones, Michelle Jones and their children as well as the Knights of Columbus in defending the term “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance. James A. Paone, II, of Davison, Eastman and Muñoz successfully represented the Jones’ and the Knights of Columbus in defeating a lawsuit...Read more