A regular speaker in seminars thought New Jersey, Peter recently spoke at the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Annual Convention and the NJAJ Boardwalk Seminar. He also speaks at numerous seminars presented by local Bar Associations and the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Peter also authors a bi-monthly op-ed column on Municipal Courts for the New Jersey Law Journal. These efforts provide an opportunity to speak out to the legal community on many Municipal Court issues needing reform.
He has also served as Chairman of the New Jersey State Bar Association Municipal Court Committee for three years. In that capacity, he appeared before the legislature to testify on DWI related issues.
Peter was involved in two key cases which determined the use of the Alcotest 7110 MK-III breath test device, State v. Chun and State v. Foley. He argued part of Chunbefore the New Jersey Supreme Court and was co-lead counsel in Foley.
He was also co-chairman of the Middlesex County Bar Association Municipal Court Committee for seven years and received an award as Outstanding Municipal Court Practitioner from that Association in 2006. Prior to that time, he served as Municipal Prosecutor in the Township of Piscataway from 1984 through 1987.
He received a J.D. degree from Fordham University School of Law in 1974 after graduating from Franklin and Marshall College in 1969.
- New Jersey
- United States District Court - District of New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Monmouth Bar Association
- Middlesex County Bar Association
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- National College for DWI Defense
- Francis Moore Scrambled Egg Society
- May 18, 2017 - Peter Lederman, co-chair of the firm’s DWI-Criminal Defense Department, will be speaking at the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Annual Convention on Thursday, May 18th at the Borgata Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City. He will be on a panel of speakers covering “Introduction to Municipal Court: A 101 Course.” The program is for recently admitted attorneys or for anyone who is new to Municipal Court practice. The NJSBA Annual Meeting and Convention features speakers and presenters including members of New Jersey’s federal and state, appellate, and local courts. Top attorneys from across the state and other professionals are among the experienced panelists. To learn more about the convention, click here.
- January 31, 2017 - Peter Lederman, head of the firm’s DWI Defense practice, will be speaking at the Middlesex County Bar Association’s annual Municipal Court CLE Seminar on “How to Resolve a DWI Case.” Speaking with Peter will be the Hon. Miles Winder, III, JMC. The program takes place at 5:00 pm at the MCBA Office, 87 Bayard Street, New Brunswick.
- August 18, 2016 - Peter H. Lederman was again named to the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers in America©, in the DUI/DWI Defense He has been selected for inclusion in the directory since 2009. Best Lawyers is among the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. To read the full announcement, click here.
- May 18/19, 2016 - Peter H. Lederman will be speaking at the NJ State Bar Convention’s “Municipal Court 101 Course” presented by the NJSBA Municipal Court Section. The program will take place on May 18 at 10:30 am and again on May 19 at 8:30 am. To get more information on the convention, visit: NJSBA Municipal Court Course.
- April 24, 2016 - DWI and Municipal Court Defense Partner Peter H. Lederman will be a panelist at ICLE’s “Hot Topics in Municipal Court Law” seminar, presented in cooperation with the NJSBA Municipal Court Section. The program will discuss the latest issues in NJ law relating to the Municipal Courts, including road stops and motor vehicle searches, bail reform as impacting municipal court practice and e-filing and electronic access in the municipal courts. The program will be held in New Brunswick from 5:00-8:15 pm. CLE credits will be offered. For more information, visit: NJICLE Municipal Seminar.
- April 8, 2016 - Peter Lederman will be speaking at the NJAJ oardwalk Convention as part of the Criminal Law lectures on Friday, April 8th. He will be providing a “DWI Update” at 11:30 am. For conference information and registration, visit: NJAJ.
- May 14, 2016 - Peter Lederman, Partner, will speak at the New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting and Convention in Atlantic City, NJ. Peter will be speaking during the Municipal Court Section Bench-Bar presentation. Over 2,700 attorneys, judges, law clerks, legal administrators and paralegals are expected to attend over 80 educational seminars in virtually all areas of law.
- April 30th, 2015 - Davison, Eastman & Muñoz's Peter Lederman, Partner, will speak at the NJ Association for Justice Boardwalk Seminar in Atlantic City, NJ. Peter will be speaking as part of two day criminal law presentation about the implications of a recent Appellate Division of State v. Sylvester, involving interpretation of the law which creates an indictable offense for driving while suspended, when the suspension results from a prior conviction for DWI or Refusal to provide a breath sample. As an indictable offense, these violations are dealt with in the Superior Court, with convictions requiring a mandatory minimum jail sentence of six months and a criminal record.
I wonder what it would be like if one of our gubernatorial candidates took the Donald Trump approach and told us they wanted to “make New Jersey great again.” Would they tell us we live in a State where we would have nothing to lose by radically changing a “rigged system.” Well, the argument doesn’t do...Read more
Since 2008, breath testing in New Jersey for evidential purposes in DWI cases has been conducted with the Drager Alcotest 7110 MK III-C. Recently, the New Jersey Attorney General conceded that the State could not comply with requirements set by the New Jersey Supreme Court to ensure reliable breath testing in DWI cases. Accordingly, the Attorney...Read more
My generation was probably the first to grow up watching television. I remember the little black and white TV in my room where I watched immortal classics such as Howdy Doody, Captain Video, Superman and the Lone Ranger. I suppose I should have spent more time curled up with a good book or communing with nature,...Read more
New Jersey driver rights took a hit this week. In a surprising decision this week our state’s highest court reversed a prior decision regarding when police are allowed to search our vehicles. In its most recent decision determining when police can search vehicles in the course of a motor vehicle stop, the New Jersey Supreme Court...Read more
If you were arrested for DWI following a blood test you might think your conviction is a sure thing. This is not true. A blood test, though it seems like air tight evidence of your guilt, can be challenged by your attorney. In this blog I’ll outline the law police must follow when obtaining your blood...Read more
If you’ve been charged with driving while intoxicated, whether it’s your first offense or third, you know it is a bewildering time. You feel ashamed, embarrassed and scared. You’re worried about your license, your career, your family. You have a lot at stake. The most important decision you make following your arrest is who you choose...Read more
If you are charged with DWI in New Jersey, it’s likely you are confused about what to do first and stressed about the ramifications for your license, your job and your family. I’ve put together this list to help you navigate those first few uncertain days after your charge, to give you peace of mind, and...Read more
This article was orginally published in the NJ Law Journal High-tech stealth vehicles seem to be the rage for police departments around the state. Everything from blacked out Dodge Chargers to AWDs with low-profile overhead lights can be seen patrolling highways and towns, as a result of new technology and the end of Crown Victoria production....Read more