Bob Bonney is a partner in the Firm's Criminal and Government Agency Defense Department and Business Law and Litigation Department.
He has been designated by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Certified Criminal Trial Attorney since 1988. His 40 years of experience includes extensive work in Criminal Defense in Federal and State Courts, Corporate Criminal Law, Internal Corporate Investigations, Shareholder/Partner Dispute Litigation, Health Care, Tax Fraud and representation before State governmental agencies and professional boards. Bob served as law clerk to the Honorable Clarkson S. Fisher, United States District Judge from 1975-1976. He was a Deputy Public Defender for the New Jersey Office of the Public Advocate in 1977 and an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey from 1977-1981.
Bob has been listed in the 2008 through 2016 editions of America's and The New York Area's Best Lawyers. In 2006, he received the Professional Lawyer of the Year Award from the New Jersey Commission on Professionalism in the Law.
Bob currently serves on the U.S. Attorney's Defense Counsel Advisory Committee. He was the President of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers - New Jersey in 2005-2006. He was a member of the Criminal Advisory Board for the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey; the Advisory Committee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit on Model Jury Instructions - Criminal, and served as the Chairman of the New Jersey State Bar Association's Criminal Law Section in 1989-1990.
He has been a guest lecturer at Rutgers University School of Law - Camden on Forfeiture Law and Health Care Fraud. He has also lectured for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) on Health Care Fraud, Forfeiture Law, and Criminal Law and Procedure. Bob is an active member of the United Way of Monmouth County, having served as Chairman of the Board of Directors from 2011-2013.
Bob received his B.A. from Roanoke College, cum laude, in 1971 and his J.D. from Washington and Lee University in 1975, where he was Captain of a National Moot Court Team.
- United States Court of Appeals - Third Circuit (1991)
- United States District Court - District of New Jersey (1975)
- United States District Court - Eastern District of New York (1984)
- United States District Court - Southern District of New York (1984)
- New Jersey (1975)
- New York (1984)
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Monmouth Bar Association
- June 26, 2017 - The firm is proud to support the United Way of Monmouth and Ocean Counties as they host their 2017 Spring Tee-Off on Monday, May 22, at Hollywood Golf Club in Deal, NJ. UWMOC fights for the education, health and financial stability of residents of Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Proceeds from this outing will go towards UWMOC’s efforts in achieving these goals. Robert Bonney, DEMLP Partner in the Firm's Criminal and Government Agency Defense Department, is serving as Vice-Chair of this great event.
- August 18, 2016 - Robert S. Bonney was again named to the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers in America©, in the Criminal Defense: White Collar category. He has been selected for inclusion in the directory since 2008. Best Lawyers is among the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. To read the full announcement, click here.
- October 19, 2015 - Criminal and Government Agency Defense and Business Litigation Partner Robert S. Bonney, Jr. will speak on "Ethical Issues Impacting Municipal Court Practice and Criminal Law Practice" at the New Jersey Law Center in New Brunswick, NJ on Monday, October 19, 2015, 4:15 p.m. The event is hosted by the New Jersey State Bar Association. CLE will be offered.